Region : 2
Price : Y1,980
Play Time : 44 minutes
Number of Discs : 1
Number of Sides per Disc : 1
Number of Layers (side1) : 1
Number of Layers (side2) : N/A
Audio1 : Japanese Linear PCM 2ch
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Animephile Rating: B (8.5)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Video Scan Type : interlaced-Video (-0.0) - OP/ED are 30 frames per second progressive (2:2 pulldown), but footages from the actual show are 24 frames per second with 3:2 pulldown. Most of this DVD is live video, though.
Aspect Handling : anamorphic-ANY (-0.0)
Compression : -1.5 - Pony Canyon is still the worst in Japan!
Video Separation : -0.0
Scene Transition : -0.0
Calibration : -0.0
Comments:
How come there's no Yukarin interview!?
I just don't feel like writing today, so that's all I'll say. Oh, the second image is lossless PNG file.

Download:
AIR.Prelude.DVD.JAPANESE.R2.NTSC.DVDR-MKCN
http://www.megaupload.com/?f=TFCTEFTQ

AIR Vol.1, Limited Edition
Created/Updated 2005-04-10
Catalog Number : PCBX-50668
Manufacturer : Pony Canyon
Series : AIR
Printing Date : 2005-04-06
Price : Y5,980
Play Time : 48 minutes
Audio2 : Japanese Dolby Digital 2ch (Commentary)
Animephile Rating: F (5.5)
Video Scan Type : interlaced-TV (-2.5) - 24 frames per second with 3:2 pulldown.
Compression : -1.0 - It's not always about bit rates. How they're used can be more important.
Other : -1.0 - One(?) of the chroma channel data has incorrect vertical offset. I'm not consistent about subtracting points for this, but that doesn't mean the problem isn't there.
Comments:
The long-awaited AIR TV-series is finally out on DVD. It's animated by the same studio that animated "Munto," namely Kyouto Animation. I've never liked their character animation process all that much since Munto came out really lifeless, but they did improve a lot since then. AIR does _not_ have low frame rate issues, not that I care that much about frame rates. Still, since AIR has a lot of frames without any drop in individual frame quality, it is very pleasing to watch.
The commentary confirms that a lot of effort went into animating this, so the animation quality is not an issue, but I have a different problem to complain about. Object handling is sloppy! Image 4 shows Misuzu's school bag fairly close behind her. Image 5, which comes right at the same time does not have the bag. One can argue that she already moved forward, but if that were the case, then I would complain that the scenes did not flow well together. And this isn't the only example. In the scene where Yukito gets a cake from a stranger after performing his trick, the doll disappears! It was there in the wide-angle shot, but when the man is putting his cake down, there is no doll! This isn't an animation problem. This is a storyboard problem. Sloppy, I tell you!
By the way, I have never played the game, but someone from Korea sent me a translated (Korean) script of the game story, so I read some of it before. Since I had no visuals and the translation didn't read very well (it wasn't flowing well like a novel), I may have gotten the wrong impression, but being somewhat familiar with the premise seems to be helping. I can imagine myself being lost, kind of like when I'm watching "Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu," if I didn't have that exposure to the game story, so thank you to the person who sent me the scripts. I have the email address still, but I'm not sure if it's okay to put it up, so I'm going to be conservative and not mention it.

Images (move cursor over each image to see short comment):

Download:
AIR.Vol.1.Limited.Edition.DVD1.JAPANESE.R2.NTSC.DVDR-MKCN
http://www.megaupload.com/?f=XQ2OTSJW
AIR Vol.2, Limited Edition
Created/Updated 2005-05-07
Catalog Number : PCBX-50669
Printing Date : 2005-04-27
Video Scan Type : interlaced-TV (-2.5) - 24 frames per second with 3:2 pulldown.
Compression : -1.0 - It's not always about bit rates. How they're used can be more important.
Other : -1.0 - One(?) of the chroma channel data has incorrect vertical offset. I'm not consistent about subtracting points for this, but that doesn't mean the problem isn't there.
Comments:
Back in the days of VHS fansubs, fans had to work hard at it to obtain anime. They had to form relationships, and many actually worked on various stages of fansubbing. The few who had the money were willing to let people use their LD as master for the fansub because they were aware that the people in the circle understood and appreciated the art of animation.
Nowadays, just about any riffraff can get anime. The ratio of real "otaku" to the rest, who still call themselves "otaku" without any clue as to what it is they're into, has decreased drastically. When these dilutors watch anime like AIR, they'd have no clue as to why it is such a special series. Real "otaku" would know, and it doesn't even matter if s/he likes the series. The effort can be seen regardless of the story.

Download:
AIR.Vol.2.Limited.Edition.DVD2.JAPANESE.R2.NTSC.DVDR-MKCN
http://www.megaupload.com/?f=VAUQ4TE2
AIR Vol.3, Limited Edition
Created/Updated 2005-06-10
Catalog Number : PCBX-50670
Printing Date : 2005-06-01
Comments:
The story is starting to really move now, not that it wasn't already moving fast. It was never the goal to recreate the game story in full anyway. I think they've done a great job compressing so much stuff into 30 minute episodes.
Do you know what I love about this anime? Everybody walks everywhere. Not only that, they converse while walking. What a concept!
Just in case someone misunderstands me, no, I'm not being sarcastic at all.

Download:
AIR.Vol.3.Limited.Edition.DVD3.JAPANESE.R2.NTSC.DVDR-MKCN
http://www.megaupload.com/?f=T17CBZBK
AIR Vol.4, Limited Edition
Created/Updated 2005-07-16
Catalog Number : PCBX-50671
Printing Date : 2005-07-06
Comments:
Episode 7 ~Dream~ focuses on Yukito and Misuzu. Come to think of it, Kano, Michiru, and Minagi are taken care of, so it makes sense to focus more on the main, MAIN characters.
Episode 8 ~Summer~ is 100% past event. The parallel to the present time is intriguing.
Oh, and I knew I heard the voice of Kan'na (Nishimura Chinami) before, but I could not associate it with any character. I looked up and was pleasantly surprised to find Greta (Chiccha na Yukitsukai Sugar).

Download:
AIR.Vol.4.Limited.Edition.DVD4.JAPANESE.R2.NTSC.DVDR-MKCN
http://www.megaupload.com/?f=UTJLC7MQ
AIR Vol.5, Limited Edition
Created/Updated 2005-08-30
Catalog Number : PCBX-50672
Printing Date : 2005-08-03
Animephile Rating: F (5.0)
Compression : -1.5 - It's not always about bit rates. How they're used can be more important.
Comments:
Episode 9 continues with the historical events. It's so beautifully... upsetting. I can see why this game is so highly regarded.
Episode 10 is the most clever way to do flashback I've ever seen. It not only serves as a flashback, it adds extra information in such a way that it's subtle and undisturbing of the original view. It doesn't even reuse the animation very much because the events are actually slightly different. While at it, we also see different angles of the past events, too. I am impressed to no end!

Download:
AIR.Vol.5.Limited.Edition.DVD5.JAPANESE.R2.NTSC.DVDR-MKCN
http://www.megaupload.com/?f=1ZL67V46
AIR Vol.6, Limited Edition
Created/Updated 2005-09-17
Catalog Number : PCBX-50673
Printing Date : 2005-09-07
Compression : -1.5 - It's not always about bit rates. How they're used can be more important.
Comments:
In the AIR Movie listing, I said that you can watch the movie or the TV series without needing to worry too much about mixing them up. That's still true, but now that I've seen the last episode of the TV series, I think it's best to finish the TV series before watching the movie, or skip the movie entirely. I say this because having seen the last scene of the movie interfered with the way I took in the TV series ending (i.e. lessened the effect).
This TV series is too beautiful to let anything spoil it, even a little. In that sense, I also wish the DVDs were produced by some other company with more competent video engineers. It's not too bad, but it could definitely have been better.
I've always had the tendency to minimize what I say about the last episode, and from now on, I'm also going to avoid putting up screen captures from the last episode. All images are from episode 11 (one from the last).

Download:
AIR.Vol.6.Limited.Edition.DVD6.JAPANESE.R2.NTSC.DVDR-MKCN
http://www.megaupload.com/?f=8BUX6ADD
AIR in Summer, Limited Edition
Created/Updated 2005-10-18
Catalog Number : PCBX-50674
Printing Date : 2005-10-05
Comments:
I've been in "buy anything that's AIR related" mode already, so I didn't even have an expectation. For some reason, I thought there would be a lot of reused footage in this, but I was wrong. There's very little reused footage. Few that are, are there to link up the story with the TV series version of the Summer arc. It's done very seemlessly, too.
Kan'na is portrayed in a much more, ...naturally childish way. In a strange way, all the funny and cute scenes feel nostalgic, and perhaps even a bit sad. It's because I know what happens later. It makes every moment more precious, though.
Of course, excellent animation continues in these special episodes.

Download:
AIR.IN.SUMMER.Limited.Edition.DVD.JAPANESE.R2.NTSC.DVDR-MKCN
http://www.megaupload.com/?f=ZGN1EVW7
AIR, Memories
Created/Updated 2005-11-20
Catalog Number : PCBX-50675
Printing Date : 2005-11-02
Play Time : 92 minutes
Compression : -1.0
Comments:
As far as I can tell, there are no new footages in this, but I expected that. Besides the summary episode, there are seiyuu interviews, promotion videos, and other miscellaneous video clips. There isn't much to say about it. It's like an extra (adj. more than is needed, desired, or required) DVD that happens to cost a lot. I guess it's a marketing trick. Being aware of that doesn't seem to help because the collector's attitude supercedes reason in this case.
I didn't feel like grabbing screenshots from the interviews, and other ones are nothing new, so I didn't get any this time.

Download:
AIR.IN.MEMORIES.Limited.Edition.DVD.JAPANESE.R2.NTSC.DVDR-MKCN
http://www.megaupload.com/?f=D4O6CILM
Gekijou-ban AIR, Special Edition
Created/Updated 2005-08-30
Catalog Number : FCBM-0001
Manufacturer : Frontier Works
Printing Date : 2005-08-05
Price : Y9,500
Play Time : 91 minutes
Number of Discs : 1 DVD, 2 CDs (listed separatedly)
Number of Layers (side1) : 2
Audio2 : Japanese Dolby Digital 5.1ch
Audio3 : Japanese Dolby Digital 2ch (Commentary)
Video Scan Type : interlaced-Movie (-5.0) - 24 frames per second with 3:2 pulldown.
Compression : -0.0
Comments:
First impression: Game animation sequence without the game.
Before we go on, I would like to note that the bonus CDs that come with this special edition are listed separately under AIR-0004 and AIR-0005.
This is totally different production than the TV series. Obviously, the characters and the gist of the story are shared, but otherwise, it has no relationship with the TV series. That means, you can watch the movie or the TV series without needing to worry too much about mixing them up. You can even skip one or the other.
To get down to the point, I like the TV-series animation far more than this theatre animation. TV-series animation is sharper and better defined, has better colors as well as better color usage, and has much more natural lighting.
Having said that, I don't hate this either, for the most part. There are some interesting character developments in here that was not seen in the TV-series, and it forms a complete story of its own.
There's really no point in reading me babble, so let's get to the images.

Download:
AIR.The.Movie.2005.Limited.Special.Collectors.Edition.Box.Set.Japanese.Retail.R2.NTSC.3DiSC.DVD9.DVDR-MKCN
http://www.megaupload.com/?f=S3CP2WY9

AIR.The.Movie.2005.Extra.Special.Disc.Japanese.Retail.R2.NTSC.DVDR-MKCN (This Bonus DVD)
http://www.megaupload.com/?f=PSNB8P4I

AIR.Bonus.Disc.DVD.JAPANESE.NTSC.DVDR-MKCN (This is movies default Special Disc with Cinema movie money)
http://www.megaupload.com/?f=05ELLWKK
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

御宅梦域

关于我们 商务合作 免责声明